Homeowners insurance will protect your New York home from a wide range of natural disasters to include wildfire, rainstorms, blizzards, hail, and lightning damage. Unfortunately, as many New Yorkers discovered after the devastation of Hurricane Sandy, home insurance doesn’t cover flood damage. At Casterlin Insurance Brokerage in Wolcott, NY, you can obtain the flood protection you need to protect your valuable home investment.
The following facts about flooding and flood insurance protection can help you make wise decisions concerning this coverage.
- For the majority of New York homeowners, flood insurance isn't mandatory. If you live in a FEMA designated floodplain or have a mortgage backed by the federal government, however, you must have flood coverage. Taking into consideration the devastating effects of flooding, you should seriously consider flood insurance, whether you live in a flood zone or not.
- Flooding can cause substantial damage to a home and utterly destroy its contents. Even a small flood of several inches of water can cause tens of thousands of dollars’ worth of structural and contents damage. Without flood insurance protection, you run the risk of financial loss in paying for flood damage out-of-pocket.
- In recent years, climate change has substantially increased the risk of flooding across the country, making homeowners more vulnerable to flood disasters than ever before.
- You can obtain flood insurance protection for your single-family home, condo, or apartment up to the limits of $250,000 for your structure and $100,000 for contents. Renters can also obtain flood insurance protection for their belongings.
- It takes up to 30 days for your flood policy to go into effect after paying for your premium. By purchasing a policy before seasonal weather changes occur, you can be prepared for any eventuality.
No one can predict when a flood disaster will strike. Your best option is to be prepared with flood insurance coverage. To learn more about flood insurance coverage and costs, contact Casterlin Insurance Brokerage in Wolcott, NY.